Skip to main content

Day 276: What's the preference? : Daily Prompt Idea

Beaches, mountains, forests, or somewhere else entirely? 

This is from a daily prompt I saw online. So, what is my take ? 

Image Courtesy: Google Images

I love every place. How much I enjoy depends on where it is, what time of the year, and of course, with whom? As of now, I have happy memories of the beach. Even though, we never went to swim or surf in the water, I have had a great time walking out in some of the loveliest beaches in Kerala. While there, every possible weekend, just the family of four would go out and watch the waves kiss the shore singing out loud. There was a beauty in that frothy water erasing out the names we wrote on the wet sand. There was a joy watching that big tide of water wet us as we tried to stand tall lifting our heels up. Then we would look back and smile as though, we just defeated the beautiful waves by standing still and tall. The sinking feeling of the sand eroding off our feet, the shells that were left back, the sand castles, and of course, the peace. It is hard to explain. All we had to do was just sit and watch the waves and the ocean in silence. No words, no thoughts. Calm and serene. My dream places to visit would be Hawaii, Lakshadweep, Goa, Philippines, and Australia. If I learn swimming, I probably might become comfortable with the idea of trying snorkeling and scuba diving. The only drawback for me with a beach side place is the quick tan and the frizzy hair (Think Monica in Friends!). 


Image Courtesy: Google Images

As for mountains, my relationship with the mountains is very deep. Anything with nature is beautiful and I enjoy hiking even though I am not doing it as much as I want to do. The fun with mountains is that we can always find something or other to explore every time we go to one. There is a kind of spiritual connection. Probably that is why we always associate the temples in India to a mountain, like the Tirupathi, Sabarimala, etc., The lung capacity increases and we get to breathe some fresh and unpolluted (less) air which probably makes it a spiritual experience. Even here, the native tribes who live in the mountains associate the spirit of mountain as their mother or as a goddess. I enjoy the 'finding' part as we walk in a mountain. The other benefit of mountains is that I lose my tan and my hair is more controlled even as I hike ! Of course, the dream mountains to visit would be Himalayas, Swiss Alps, Banff Canada, and of course, Alaska. 


Image Courtesy: Google Images


Forests are hard to write as I have not really been to a forest yet, except parts of Smoky Mountain National Park.  But being in a country with an abundance of national forests, I think I would love to explore it sometime. One of the best things I love in a forest is the presence of abundant trees and whenever I watch the trees, it always seems like they are actually having a story to tell us.  I am not sure how much I would enjoy camping out there to experience living there as I haven't tried that yet and so I am not able to place it as something I enjoy (yet). 

So, finally, if you were to ask me are the three best places I get to choose? Well, I would also add the urban cities and beautiful country sides that I can visit around the world. If I have to choose a place that is entirely different from these categories, then this is the one! 

What about you guys? Do you have a special preference to any of these? 

Reference : Reference for the daily prompt: https://dailypost.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/365-days-of-writing-prompts-1387477491.pdf


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 57: Manjadikuru (The Little Red Seeds)

Do you guys know about Manjadikuru ? They are the little red seeds. For anyone who is from God's own country or is familiar with Kerala wouldn't have missed this. There is something special about holding them, playing with these seeds. Usually, most homes will have a small 'uruli' or a bowl filled with these beautiful and shiny red seeds. In most Krishna temples in Kerala, you will come across a small 'uruli' with Manjadikuru. People believe that it is lucky to take these seeds with both hands and just play with them when you visit a temple. Some even leave a couple of coins as they do this.  In Guruvayoor (my favorite place), you can see a big 'uruli' with manjadi. 

So, why and how did this become prevalent ? It goes back to a story from the past. Many years ago, there lived a poor lady in northern Kerala. She was an ardent devotee of Lord Guruvayoorappan (Krishna) and always wanted to visit Guruvayoor.  She could not afford to buy any offering (nived…

Day 307: Happy Chingam !

Today is Chingam 1 (to be read as onnu). It is the new month according to the lunisolar calendar. This month is also called as Avani and Shravana. So, why is this month special?  This month marks the beginning of the festival season back home and the it is fun to have small celebrations through the months until  mid- December. It is also the month of Onam (Harvest festival in Kerala).

The first festival we have this month is the 'sacred thread' changing ceremony for men/boys who wear that. This is followed by usually the birthday of little Krishna and then the elephant-head god, Ganesha. Then comes Onam followed by the beautiful month of Navaratri or Durga Pooja. So, the big set of festival season is here and here is a wish to all of you on Chingam 1. Wishing you all blessed and excellent months ahead. Have fun!

Day 315 : What's on your bucket list?

Bucket List. A term that has become popular much after the famous movie with the same title in 2007. The term would have probably taken after the euphemism 'kick the bucket', which was again popularized in the movie, 'It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world'. The 2007 movie was a massive hit and how would it be not? It had Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in the lead. The term was meant to have a list of things you wish you can do before you leave this world.

It is like a goal list that can evolve as you grow and change perspectives in life. I used to have a wish list that worked as a to-do list mostly like a work list for short-term goals. However, off late, I have decided to make one and keep it as an ever evolving list.

The first one on my list as of now (that was from the past too) is to get my biggest degree in life. Hopefully I will tick that one off my list soon.

Do share your thoughts on your list and how do you plan on getting it all checked out.

Love,
M