Skip to main content

Day 267: My mind and I

A conversation within myself led me to compose this poem. It started off as a declaration of self wishing for certain things and then, the 'other' me was reasoning with 'me' about those peculiar wishes. This poem reflects the longing and the search for 'someone' or 'something'.

In between the other 'me' got stuck half way as 'she' was finding it hard to tell the 'me' to be positive. Thankfully a conversation with my dear sister-in-law helped the 'other me' find her way. I should thank her for helping me write this one. Dedicated to her for her beautiful mind.


Image Courtesy: Google Images
Not an appropriate image for this poem's tone but found this funny. 


I wish to run away from here,  to a place nowhere. 
I hope to fly away like a butterfly, chasing new flowers of the wild. 
I wish to sit down quiet, mindfully traveling through a million path
I hope to go to a distant land just by teleporting my good old soul. 

She paused me and asked, 
"Oh, dear friend, why are your wishes so vicious and sad? "
"Or, are they just a brilliant blast of your thoughts?". 
I nodded and smiled, then closed my eyes, 
for I know not, my friend, not just yet, 
as they are still only wishes from deep down my heart. 

She gave me a quizzical look, sat down, and looked about, 
Then asked me to annotate the pain of why it was so hard to stick around. 
It was tough to elaborate that thought, 
of how I felt at times like a wind that was directionless and lost, 
wading through the rough seas and a leafless tree, 
I felt like an abandoned soul trying to see far. 
It was hard to illustrate the troubled soul,  
who was trying to just find a road. 
She looked at me with a soft smile and nod, 
agreeing that it was typical to feel all so lost. 
She agreed that I was lonely and missed good company, 
looking for a purpose to live and then to smile. 

Then she told me something that changed my thought. 
She asked me to smile no matter what, 
even when I am lonely and sad. 
Just to get my muscles moving up and right. 
To let that smile kill my unwarranted blues,
She told me to let go off the parts that didn't belong to me, 
To walk out of the dark and look up at the sun. 
She made sense more than I ever knew, 
She planted seeds of positivity, 
of hope, love, and joy in me, 
for now, I am a different person
waiting to bloom. 

I still wish I can run away to a distant place, 
but that is not in pain but in joy spreading my wings, 
I still wish I can become a butterfly looking for new flowers to hide,
but that is not in strain and only in joy as I take flight to a beautiful land. 

©Meena Arvind


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 307: Happy Chingam !

Today is Chingam 1 (to be read as onnu). It is the new month according to the lunisolar calendar. This month is also called as Avani and Shravana. So, why is this month special?  This month marks the beginning of the festival season back home and the it is fun to have small celebrations through the months until  mid- December. It is also the month of Onam (Harvest festival in Kerala).

The first festival we have this month is the 'sacred thread' changing ceremony for men/boys who wear that. This is followed by usually the birthday of little Krishna and then the elephant-head god, Ganesha. Then comes Onam followed by the beautiful month of Navaratri or Durga Pooja. So, the big set of festival season is here and here is a wish to all of you on Chingam 1. Wishing you all blessed and excellent months ahead. Have fun!

Day 315 : What's on your bucket list?

Bucket List. A term that has become popular much after the famous movie with the same title in 2007. The term would have probably taken after the euphemism 'kick the bucket', which was again popularized in the movie, 'It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world'. The 2007 movie was a massive hit and how would it be not? It had Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in the lead. The term was meant to have a list of things you wish you can do before you leave this world.

It is like a goal list that can evolve as you grow and change perspectives in life. I used to have a wish list that worked as a to-do list mostly like a work list for short-term goals. However, off late, I have decided to make one and keep it as an ever evolving list.

The first one on my list as of now (that was from the past too) is to get my biggest degree in life. Hopefully I will tick that one off my list soon.

Do share your thoughts on your list and how do you plan on getting it all checked out.

Love,
M

Day 57: Manjadikuru (The Little Red Seeds)

Do you guys know about Manjadikuru ? They are the little red seeds. For anyone who is from God's own country or is familiar with Kerala wouldn't have missed this. There is something special about holding them, playing with these seeds. Usually, most homes will have a small 'uruli' or a bowl filled with these beautiful and shiny red seeds. In most Krishna temples in Kerala, you will come across a small 'uruli' with Manjadikuru. People believe that it is lucky to take these seeds with both hands and just play with them when you visit a temple. Some even leave a couple of coins as they do this.  In Guruvayoor (my favorite place), you can see a big 'uruli' with manjadi. 

So, why and how did this become prevalent ? It goes back to a story from the past. Many years ago, there lived a poor lady in northern Kerala. She was an ardent devotee of Lord Guruvayoorappan (Krishna) and always wanted to visit Guruvayoor.  She could not afford to buy any offering (nived…