Skip to main content

Day 261: The treasure trove called Enid Blyton

Image Courtesy: Google Images
Reading is a magical journey for it takes us to a different world even as we stay still and rooted in a place. The authors are like magicians who weave their magic wand, their pen and their narration and take us with them on their imaginary trip. We don't see the author but we visualize the characters they have given birth to and we take them as our best friends or even mortal enemies depending on what we are reading. Enid Blyton was one such author. As a child, my brother and I got a chance to travel around the world have new friends and even own our pet dog. All credits to this brilliant writer. Born as Enid Mary Blyton in Kent, she began writing during her free time. One of her first books was a collection of poems called, Child Whispers. She wrote in different genres like fairy tale (The Enid Blyton book of fairies), detective (Famous five series, Secret series), circus (Circus series) and so on. I haven't read all her books but the detective series were the ones that kept us company during our childhood days.

Today the literary world has a different take on her works and is usually associated with a lot of negative criticism (elitist, racist, etc.,). But as a child, I was mesmerized into that world of mystery. Initially when I began reading, I was shadowing George (Georgina) and Timmy and was a part of their journey as an observer. Then with time once I began reading the whole series, it kind of grew in me and I was Georgina myself. As George didn't have siblings, I was always confused in my little mind as to how can I add my brother to my plot when one of the protagonist doesn't have siblings! But yeah, the confused young mind did make up and squeeze him in to that big picture. In my head as George, I had a sibling and my brother was a part of that whole mystery series. I have been to the islands, solved crimes, wore clothes that I did not usually wear, was multi tasking many things ! Phew! All because of the great Enid Blyton. Since, Quentin (or Uncle Quentin) was the scientist, it was easy to picture my own dad as one. He is a science and math genius and I always wished my father pursued science (chemistry) instead of Banking. Well, chemistry was his major and he took to banking due to responsibilities as a young man! It was a different world and I think this wonderful writer's charm worked on us and still works on kids who are making the best of their imagination and not caught up in the vagaries of adult world.

Thank you to books, to writers like these, and to parents who encourage reading. Life is more wonderful with words like these......
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 307: Happy Chingam !

Today is Chingam 1 (to be read as onnu). It is the new month according to the lunisolar calendar. This month is also called as Avani and Shravana. So, why is this month special?  This month marks the beginning of the festival season back home and the it is fun to have small celebrations through the months until  mid- December. It is also the month of Onam (Harvest festival in Kerala).

The first festival we have this month is the 'sacred thread' changing ceremony for men/boys who wear that. This is followed by usually the birthday of little Krishna and then the elephant-head god, Ganesha. Then comes Onam followed by the beautiful month of Navaratri or Durga Pooja. So, the big set of festival season is here and here is a wish to all of you on Chingam 1. Wishing you all blessed and excellent months ahead. Have fun!

Day 306: Most beautiful things in this world

"What are the most beautiful things in this world?", asked a little child.
"Ah! well, the list is long, really very long." , said I,  Do you have the patience to listen and hold on? "Yes, I do", said she.  I smiled,  "I will first tell you all that I have been told,  and then will narrate all that I uphold."

Listen, oh, little girl,  I was told it was in places to go by a long way,  Like the light blue shores in the Caribbean isles,  and the beautiful Icelandic summer nights.  It was also in the streets of Tokyo,  and the serene charm of Canadian winter snow.  Some said it was the street food in Bangkok,  and yet others claimed that it was the chaat masalas of India.  The haute couture in Milan fashion show,  or for a few, the royal palaces of big Europe.  I was confused just like you, for,
all these are places afar very distant from my present home .
But what if I wanted to enjoy a few beautiful things,
should I go this far or are they just wi…

Day 315 : What's on your bucket list?

Bucket List. A term that has become popular much after the famous movie with the same title in 2007. The term would have probably taken after the euphemism 'kick the bucket', which was again popularized in the movie, 'It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world'. The 2007 movie was a massive hit and how would it be not? It had Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in the lead. The term was meant to have a list of things you wish you can do before you leave this world.

It is like a goal list that can evolve as you grow and change perspectives in life. I used to have a wish list that worked as a to-do list mostly like a work list for short-term goals. However, off late, I have decided to make one and keep it as an ever evolving list.

The first one on my list as of now (that was from the past too) is to get my biggest degree in life. Hopefully I will tick that one off my list soon.

Do share your thoughts on your list and how do you plan on getting it all checked out.

Love,
M