Skip to main content

Day 58: F.R.I.E.N.D.S in pop culture

The show that needs no introduction. I'm sure most of us (I won't say all) who have watched television once a while or are aware of pop culture should have heard of this brilliant show. Just like today's Big Bang Theory or the Modern Family, F.R.I.E.N.D.S just changed how sitcoms were accepted by audiences. It became the window for American pop culture and somehow, every other part of the world appreciated and devoured this show, so much so, that there were (and probably are) many who believed that life in the US was very much like this show.

Picture Courtesy: Google Images
With a star cast that bonded so well- both in the series and outside the series, this show has 'tickled' (read touched) millions of mind all over the world. Marta Kauffman and David Crane created some terrific characters, all flawed yet interesting and charismatic. With a critical lens, one can actually find a lot of issues in the way the story and the cast was set, but in reality, that did not matter. Coffee shops, hair style, pick up lines, english language style, even referring to 'Monica clean' for a sparkling clean apartment (well, I tend to think of that term whenever, I try to clean my place:D) and so on have just become a part of the culture. In fact, a culture not just in the place where this was set, but all over the world. On a side note, there was another show that was equally hilarious and brilliantly made called 'Seinfeld'. I love that one too. I think that show portrayed NY in a realistic fashion. Initially, I did not appreciate going behind the 'idea' of a 'single idea' being a part of a mass culture and accepted by a larger audience. I used to feel that just because it is a part of the mass culture, I probably should stay away. So, even when I did watch it while in India, I 'tried' to keep away from it. My 'S' is a big fan and if at all I watched it in India, it was with and for him. But thanks to him, now I just relax every time I watch one show. After coming to the US, I watched it regularly as I had it on my machine and felt it the best way to 'spend' time outside work. By the way, I do also believe that having background laughter track, changes how people appreciate the joke. Sometimes, I think, even without that laughter track, probably with just the right music this show would have been as good as it is now. Or probably not. I am not sure! 

Even though I have watched it many times, I still cannot stop laughing when I watch an episode.
I try to watch one episode a day before I go to bed to just forget the stress and laugh out loud. I even have a feeling that I have these characters alive in my head as at times, I laugh just by myself when I think of what would be Joey's reaction to something or may be Monica's ! So, if you haven't watched this yet, I do recommend you to try it once! 
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 307: Happy Chingam !

Today is Chingam 1 (to be read as onnu). It is the new month according to the lunisolar calendar. This month is also called as Avani and Shravana. So, why is this month special?  This month marks the beginning of the festival season back home and the it is fun to have small celebrations through the months until  mid- December. It is also the month of Onam (Harvest festival in Kerala).

The first festival we have this month is the 'sacred thread' changing ceremony for men/boys who wear that. This is followed by usually the birthday of little Krishna and then the elephant-head god, Ganesha. Then comes Onam followed by the beautiful month of Navaratri or Durga Pooja. So, the big set of festival season is here and here is a wish to all of you on Chingam 1. Wishing you all blessed and excellent months ahead. Have fun!

Day 306: Most beautiful things in this world

"What are the most beautiful things in this world?", asked a little child.
"Ah! well, the list is long, really very long." , said I,  Do you have the patience to listen and hold on? "Yes, I do", said she.  I smiled,  "I will first tell you all that I have been told,  and then will narrate all that I uphold."

Listen, oh, little girl,  I was told it was in places to go by a long way,  Like the light blue shores in the Caribbean isles,  and the beautiful Icelandic summer nights.  It was also in the streets of Tokyo,  and the serene charm of Canadian winter snow.  Some said it was the street food in Bangkok,  and yet others claimed that it was the chaat masalas of India.  The haute couture in Milan fashion show,  or for a few, the royal palaces of big Europe.  I was confused just like you, for,
all these are places afar very distant from my present home .
But what if I wanted to enjoy a few beautiful things,
should I go this far or are they just wi…

Day 315 : What's on your bucket list?

Bucket List. A term that has become popular much after the famous movie with the same title in 2007. The term would have probably taken after the euphemism 'kick the bucket', which was again popularized in the movie, 'It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world'. The 2007 movie was a massive hit and how would it be not? It had Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in the lead. The term was meant to have a list of things you wish you can do before you leave this world.

It is like a goal list that can evolve as you grow and change perspectives in life. I used to have a wish list that worked as a to-do list mostly like a work list for short-term goals. However, off late, I have decided to make one and keep it as an ever evolving list.

The first one on my list as of now (that was from the past too) is to get my biggest degree in life. Hopefully I will tick that one off my list soon.

Do share your thoughts on your list and how do you plan on getting it all checked out.

Love,
M