|Kate Spade's Vogue Ad (Picture Courtesy:Google Images)|
'kate spade' was launched officially in 1993. Kate Brosnahan (now Kate Spade) started this with her boyfriend (now husband) Andy Spade. Andy's creative and entrepreneurial bent of mind along with Kate's passion and fashion sense, helped them launch this business. They started with a line of fashion handbags. Andy Spade, the creative guy was working with advertising agency in NYC, while Kate was the senior editor in the fashion department of Mademoiselle magazine. When she felt her career had reached that 'saturation' beyond which she didn't feel a drive to pursue, she decided to quit. Andy supported her and gave her the idea to start this fashion line. Andy Spade had always shown his entrepreneurial streak by starting an ad agency even while in college. His encouragement and investment helped her start this line of handbags. The product was fresh and voguish. The box shaped urban handbags were neat and elegant and were successful. Once the company started making some progress, Kate and Andy roped in a couple of their friends and new folks to handle various departments like, procurement, PR, sales etc., In a couple of years, Kate and Andy officially married and so the brand name was just perfect. In a couple of years, they were able to open a boutique in Manhattan. The interesting aspect of this brand is its simplicity. Even the first boutique was designed by architects who had no experience in setting up retail stores. They expanded their product line and even signed deals for signature stationery. They started licensing different products from raincoats, cosmetics, home products, eyewear and even launching men's fashion totes in the brand name, Jack Spade.
Later, Neiman Marcus, the Dallas based retailer got 56% of 'kate spade's' shares. Kate and Andy were part of the company and were investing their creative hold for business. However, when Neiman was interested in selling this company, they sold their remaining 44% to Neiman Marcus. Then, Neiman finally packaged the whole bundle and sold it to Liz Claiborne, now known as Fifth and Pacific. So, even though, Kate and Andy are no longer a part of this brand, their legacy continues with the brand name.
While Kate took a break to be a full-time mother, Andy Spade continued his entrepreneurial drive by starting a company called 'Partners & Spade', a successful group that offers, branding and marketing solutions, produces movies, apparels, publishes books and so on.
|Kate and Andy (Picture Courtesy: Google Images)|
Trivia: Just shoot me, the American sitcom's character Dennis Finch was played by David Spade (comedian), brother of Andy Spade.