Skip to main content

Day 25: Looking through my coursework for favorites!

Most often than not, I end up spending a lot of time at work (off late). I'm usually zapped and totally drained by the time I am back home. I struggle to get my thoughts lined up and write a good topic here on my page. There are some days, where I even struggle to find a topic. Well, so I decided to base the school as my larger context and seek inspiration for a topic today.

After some thought, this is what I have decided to write- the top 3 courses that I loved taking from my college (in specific). It is actually hard to just say only these three helped, but I am not talking about my cognate classes and just focusing from among those that was offered in my college.

1. A Theory Class by Dr. T: I must say, I was blessed to find this professor. Even though my area of research is not directly related to his research interests, he is so very knowledgable that he can always find a way to help you look at the bigger picture. Theoretical classes, as you guessed, are usually boring. A doctoral level class tends to be for a longer period and with a lot of dense reading too. However, Dr. T being a wonderful teacher, made it one of the best ever. Even though we had students who were from varied disciplines and different levels in the program, it was perfect for each one of us. How amazing right? I never thought I would appreciate theories (which I never did ) so much. Even now, I am not a big fan, but I am not as bad I was before. His assignments were very interesting, even when it was tough. It surely made us go bonkers thinking about the ways we could address our assignments but at the same time, the sense of satisfaction we got, when we completed it and found we actually understood it was great. In fact, the last time this class was offered, one of my other friends from grad school took it and she could not stop raving about it either! This will remain one of my favorite classes ever.

2. Advertising and Society by Dr. H: Another grad level class, where it takes your through the 'institution' of advertising and how that changes the way advertising and marketing (overall) plays a role in the society. It is a subject that can be easily made as boring and need not be appreciated by all. Even when we had grad students, mostly very young and sometimes international students. The readings were dense and hard. However, by the time we were done with the class, he made sure each of us appreciated it and understood the way the institution is set up. The assignments were brilliant Surely, yet another best. It changed how I looked at the world.

3. Advertising Theory and Message Strategies by Dr. T- They tell you that sometimes, just meeting a person once is enough to tell you a lot about how wonderful or horrible they are. This is one of the first classes I took with Dr. T as soon as I joined my program. It was the time, when I could hardly understand the 'accent' here and I was still struggling with the overwhelming load of readings and information (assignments, of course). When I was just mid way through this class, I decided, Dr. T will be my advisor, no matter what my topic is going to be. I think, that is the best decision I have taken so far. He is extremely scholarly and he has a knack to bring even the most complex and sometimes not so interesting topics with such beautiful ease and make it one of our favorites. As always, his assignments were great and he did have a knack to make them hard but interesting. I'm glad I started with this class, because, I am sure, if I did not have this class on my first Fall calendar, I would have probably quit doing my PhD even in the first semester. 

I have one more class to tie to the third spot- Advanced Research Methods Class by Dr. H. This was a smaller class than usual, as I had not many from my cohort who were interested in this methodology and hence, I was the only one who took it then. It was easily boring - in terms of the readings, but the class was something we could look forward too and my base for choosing and appreciating this methodology was because of this class. Dr. H is a talented professor. I have heard he is an excellent singer, actor, playwright and an artist. He is also a teacher par excellence.

So, that is the list of my top 3 from my college. There are other course that I loved but they were from a different college, but relevant to my interest. I see a pattern in what I love. I love the concept of marketing and in specific the larger picture of brands and consumer culture. This is one of the reasons why I decided to pursue this interest. I'm glad, I did. 
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 307: Happy Chingam !

Today is Chingam 1 (to be read as onnu). It is the new month according to the lunisolar calendar. This month is also called as Avani and Shravana. So, why is this month special?  This month marks the beginning of the festival season back home and the it is fun to have small celebrations through the months until  mid- December. It is also the month of Onam (Harvest festival in Kerala).

The first festival we have this month is the 'sacred thread' changing ceremony for men/boys who wear that. This is followed by usually the birthday of little Krishna and then the elephant-head god, Ganesha. Then comes Onam followed by the beautiful month of Navaratri or Durga Pooja. So, the big set of festival season is here and here is a wish to all of you on Chingam 1. Wishing you all blessed and excellent months ahead. Have fun!

Day 315 : What's on your bucket list?

Bucket List. A term that has become popular much after the famous movie with the same title in 2007. The term would have probably taken after the euphemism 'kick the bucket', which was again popularized in the movie, 'It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world'. The 2007 movie was a massive hit and how would it be not? It had Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in the lead. The term was meant to have a list of things you wish you can do before you leave this world.

It is like a goal list that can evolve as you grow and change perspectives in life. I used to have a wish list that worked as a to-do list mostly like a work list for short-term goals. However, off late, I have decided to make one and keep it as an ever evolving list.

The first one on my list as of now (that was from the past too) is to get my biggest degree in life. Hopefully I will tick that one off my list soon.

Do share your thoughts on your list and how do you plan on getting it all checked out.

Love,
M

Day 57: Manjadikuru (The Little Red Seeds)

Do you guys know about Manjadikuru ? They are the little red seeds. For anyone who is from God's own country or is familiar with Kerala wouldn't have missed this. There is something special about holding them, playing with these seeds. Usually, most homes will have a small 'uruli' or a bowl filled with these beautiful and shiny red seeds. In most Krishna temples in Kerala, you will come across a small 'uruli' with Manjadikuru. People believe that it is lucky to take these seeds with both hands and just play with them when you visit a temple. Some even leave a couple of coins as they do this.  In Guruvayoor (my favorite place), you can see a big 'uruli' with manjadi. 

So, why and how did this become prevalent ? It goes back to a story from the past. Many years ago, there lived a poor lady in northern Kerala. She was an ardent devotee of Lord Guruvayoorappan (Krishna) and always wanted to visit Guruvayoor.  She could not afford to buy any offering (nived…