Skip to main content

Mid semester shocks and way of life....

Can you believe it is almost mid March! This semester seems to be like on roller skates. All I can remember is having stood on a pair of skates and now I am just zooming on my way and I cannot believe that I am just having a month and the rest of March in hand to complete the 2nd semester.
I am enjoying the semester in terms of the subjects / courses I have taken. Even though one of courses seemed very hard for me in the beginning, it is shaping up to be interesting and exciting. I of course, enjoy the Qualitative and the theory class the most. I am blessed with the best professor I can ever ask for in my life - Dr. Ronald. E. Taylor. I really like him so much that I sometimes see myself as "Dronacharya-Arjuna(and I being more of Ekalavya :))" kind of relationship with him. I always pray to God for him- he is a very genuine and wonderful person and a teacher and mentor par excellence.

Dr. Micheal Palenchar, who teaches the Qualitative Part I is also very genuine person and a deep thinker. I am waiting for the next Part II course in Qualitative research methods by yet another wonderful professor- Dr. Eric Haley.

Other than the course, the class seems to be interesting. I am enjoying working with Jinhee (my best buddy in this campus or rather in my department) on a paper that we hope to publish in AEJMC! The rest - remains the same way as it was last semester.


One fine day - Dr. Morisson with her pet

However, a pleasant day like today just did not last long. We were all shocked and shattered by the news we received. Our school's department head, Dr. Margie Morrison passed away. She was a very sweet and kind professor and I have had quiet a few interactions with her in the past semester. She in fact, always encouraged me and showed confidence in me. On Valentine's day, there was a pot luck in our department and she made some green bean soup and served it and she invited me and reminded me to have the soup. She also made sure that she told me what ingredients were used in cooking the various soups and food items the profs had brought that day so that I did not have any problem having the vegetarian ones.. She was such a nice lady.

Her death was a shocker as it was very unexpected. I am sure the department (my school) is very close knit and a wonderful department and this is surely something that no one would have been able to digest.I know she had a dog, a very handsome dog and she was very fond of him. He was an akita breed and was huge and cuddly.

I pray for her soul to rest in peace. I am still not able to take the news and it is sad. This is for you Dr. Morrison. Thank you for all that you did and have done for students like me. I am grateful to God to have joined such a wonderful school and great department.

Please share your prayers for her and pray for her family and friends.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 307: Happy Chingam !

Today is Chingam 1 (to be read as onnu). It is the new month according to the lunisolar calendar. This month is also called as Avani and Shravana. So, why is this month special?  This month marks the beginning of the festival season back home and the it is fun to have small celebrations through the months until  mid- December. It is also the month of Onam (Harvest festival in Kerala).

The first festival we have this month is the 'sacred thread' changing ceremony for men/boys who wear that. This is followed by usually the birthday of little Krishna and then the elephant-head god, Ganesha. Then comes Onam followed by the beautiful month of Navaratri or Durga Pooja. So, the big set of festival season is here and here is a wish to all of you on Chingam 1. Wishing you all blessed and excellent months ahead. Have fun!

Day 315 : What's on your bucket list?

Bucket List. A term that has become popular much after the famous movie with the same title in 2007. The term would have probably taken after the euphemism 'kick the bucket', which was again popularized in the movie, 'It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world'. The 2007 movie was a massive hit and how would it be not? It had Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in the lead. The term was meant to have a list of things you wish you can do before you leave this world.

It is like a goal list that can evolve as you grow and change perspectives in life. I used to have a wish list that worked as a to-do list mostly like a work list for short-term goals. However, off late, I have decided to make one and keep it as an ever evolving list.

The first one on my list as of now (that was from the past too) is to get my biggest degree in life. Hopefully I will tick that one off my list soon.

Do share your thoughts on your list and how do you plan on getting it all checked out.

Love,
M

Day 57: Manjadikuru (The Little Red Seeds)

Do you guys know about Manjadikuru ? They are the little red seeds. For anyone who is from God's own country or is familiar with Kerala wouldn't have missed this. There is something special about holding them, playing with these seeds. Usually, most homes will have a small 'uruli' or a bowl filled with these beautiful and shiny red seeds. In most Krishna temples in Kerala, you will come across a small 'uruli' with Manjadikuru. People believe that it is lucky to take these seeds with both hands and just play with them when you visit a temple. Some even leave a couple of coins as they do this.  In Guruvayoor (my favorite place), you can see a big 'uruli' with manjadi. 

So, why and how did this become prevalent ? It goes back to a story from the past. Many years ago, there lived a poor lady in northern Kerala. She was an ardent devotee of Lord Guruvayoorappan (Krishna) and always wanted to visit Guruvayoor.  She could not afford to buy any offering (nived…