Skip to main content
The Real Beauty



One fine day, I happened to bump in to my friend, or rather one of my old college mates while on my way to work. As it was a surprise meeting, discussions were steered to the usual blah-blahs, like 'what are you doing these days?, Are you in touch with any one ?what is she doing ?'etc.,.
A causal yet formal talk. During our discussion on what each one was up to, the friend suddenly made a comment or probably a casual statement, "Hey you are just the same  "plane jane"! And then said something that was really about my looks.  I laughed /smiled as usual mocking at myself.
Well, it really didn't matter to me as to what was the comment and it was just hidden like a stack of old files somewhere deep in my thoughts.


The day went on fine and after a hectic day of work, I was on my way back home. Usually a book would keep me company as the share auto steered through the huge rally of vehicles.
With no or little light  inside the share-auto, and it being a dark night, it was hard to read. While the auto struggled to navigate through the traffic inch by inch, my views were outside - just staring and recalling various things. These are usually the moments that make me think a lot more that one could usually take their thoughts... It could be on anything- anytopic (at least that is how it is for me). As i was on a "rewind" mode, the morning's conversation just became more important. The comment. Yes, my mind was fixed on the comment made by my friend.


Yes, it may be true that beauty does have some face value to it. What one sees may or may not be beautiful/lovely/pretty for him or her but then doesn't real beauty lie within one's heart ? Anyways that small thought is now in the form of a poem penned by me on my way back home.

Yet another :D stupid roadie poem:D
 

I, me, myself !
Can i ever be a different self?
Just two little eyes, with a not-so big head,
Curly lies the hair out,
with nothing much within.
Nothing special on my face,
Only just a few pits painted around;
One big pit blabbers a bit with the rest dancing around.
Cheeks look like some puffed up buns,
Stuffed around to look like a bun!
I see it and laugh out loud.
for, I know how funny is  MY REAL SELF!

I wonder out loud why am I the only funny one,
to stop and realize it is all only for fun.

God created me only with Love,
Am a Masterpiece of the Master Himself.
.
What we look does that really matter?
what our heart tells us is what it reflects.
What seeps in within is;
what glows throughout.

Trying to let the good seep through,
I try to make my heart speak all truth.
Hoping to not really be as funny as i really seem !



Yes, i think if  the old adage of 'as you sow, so shall you reap' is true then it is also true to say that beauty is just proportionate to the beautiful thoughts that flash in mind. And imagine if the whole world is just with all lovely thoughts  the wouldn't the world be a better place to be in ?

Sow all good thoughts, thoughts of love, respect , compassion, empathy, care.
Pray, as if we would never live yet another moment .
Thank, as if we have been just blessed with the elixir of life.
Respect, as if you have never met a better soul.
Love, as if today is the only day you could talk or be with that someone.
Care, as if the person had just been slapped and is through the worst of times. 
Share, for we know not if there is a tomorrow.

Then I am sure life would bloom like those beautiful flowers for whose nectar the lovely butterflies hover around.

We could relate us to be those beautiful flowers and the butterflies would be the happiness and joy showered by the dainty fairies above.

I end with a quote by Khahil Gibran ,"Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart”
As always yours truly ,
Meenu !
Image courtesy :Getty images
10 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 307: Happy Chingam !

Today is Chingam 1 (to be read as onnu). It is the new month according to the lunisolar calendar. This month is also called as Avani and Shravana. So, why is this month special?  This month marks the beginning of the festival season back home and the it is fun to have small celebrations through the months until  mid- December. It is also the month of Onam (Harvest festival in Kerala).

The first festival we have this month is the 'sacred thread' changing ceremony for men/boys who wear that. This is followed by usually the birthday of little Krishna and then the elephant-head god, Ganesha. Then comes Onam followed by the beautiful month of Navaratri or Durga Pooja. So, the big set of festival season is here and here is a wish to all of you on Chingam 1. Wishing you all blessed and excellent months ahead. Have fun!

Day 315 : What's on your bucket list?

Bucket List. A term that has become popular much after the famous movie with the same title in 2007. The term would have probably taken after the euphemism 'kick the bucket', which was again popularized in the movie, 'It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world'. The 2007 movie was a massive hit and how would it be not? It had Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in the lead. The term was meant to have a list of things you wish you can do before you leave this world.

It is like a goal list that can evolve as you grow and change perspectives in life. I used to have a wish list that worked as a to-do list mostly like a work list for short-term goals. However, off late, I have decided to make one and keep it as an ever evolving list.

The first one on my list as of now (that was from the past too) is to get my biggest degree in life. Hopefully I will tick that one off my list soon.

Do share your thoughts on your list and how do you plan on getting it all checked out.

Love,
M

Day 57: Manjadikuru (The Little Red Seeds)

Do you guys know about Manjadikuru ? They are the little red seeds. For anyone who is from God's own country or is familiar with Kerala wouldn't have missed this. There is something special about holding them, playing with these seeds. Usually, most homes will have a small 'uruli' or a bowl filled with these beautiful and shiny red seeds. In most Krishna temples in Kerala, you will come across a small 'uruli' with Manjadikuru. People believe that it is lucky to take these seeds with both hands and just play with them when you visit a temple. Some even leave a couple of coins as they do this.  In Guruvayoor (my favorite place), you can see a big 'uruli' with manjadi. 

So, why and how did this become prevalent ? It goes back to a story from the past. Many years ago, there lived a poor lady in northern Kerala. She was an ardent devotee of Lord Guruvayoorappan (Krishna) and always wanted to visit Guruvayoor.  She could not afford to buy any offering (nived…