Skip to main content
DADDY'S DAY AT SCHOOL!




Her hair was up in a pony tail,Her favourite dress tied up with a bow.
Today was daddy's day at school,And she couldnt wait to go.
But her mother tried to tell her,that she probably should stay home
Why the kids might not understand,if she went to school all alone

But she was not afraid ;She knew just what to say
What to tell her classmates,Of why he wasn't there today.
But still her mother worried,for her to face this alone;
And that was why once again,She tried to keep her daughter home.

But the little girl went to school,Eager to tell them all
About a dad she never sees,A dad who never calls.
There were daddies along the wall in the back,For everyone to meet
Children squirming impatiently ,Anxious in their seats.

One by one the teacher called , a student from the class
To introduce their daddy,seconds slowly passed.
At last the teacher called her name;Every child turned to stare
Each of them was searching-For a man who wasnt there!

"Where's her daddy at ?",She heard a boy call out.
"She probably doesnt have one";Another studnet dared to shout.
And from somewhere near the back,She heard a daddy say
"Looks like another dead beat dad,Too busy to waste his day" .

The words did not offend her,As she smiled up at her mom
And looked back at her teachers,who told her to go on .
And with hands behind her back,Slowly she began to speak
And out from the mouth of a child,came the words incredibly unique .

My daddy couldnt be here,because he lives so far away
But i know he wishes he could be ,Since this is such a special day
And though you cannot meet him;I wanted you to know
All about my daddy and how much he loves me so .

He loved to tell me stories,He taught me to ride the bike
He surprised me with pink roses ,And taught me to fly a kite.
We used to share fudge sundaes and icecream in a cone
And though you cannot see him,I am not standing here alone.

"Cos my daddy is always with me,Even though we are apart
I know 'cos he told me, He 'll forever be in my heart
With that her little hand reached up And lay across her chest
Feeling her ownheart beat ;beneath her favourite dress.

And from somewhere in the crowd of dads,Her mother stood in tears
Proudly watching her daughter who was wise beyond her years.
For she stood up for the love-Of a man not in her life
Doing what was best for her,doing what was right.

And when she dropped her hand down,staring straight in to the crowd
She finished with a voice so soft , but its message clear and cloud.
I love my daddy very much,He is my shining star
And if he could , he 'd be here,but heaven's just too far.

You see he was a fire man;And died just this past years
When the air planes hit the towers,and made the meaning of freedom clear!
But sometimes when i close my eyes , It's like he never was away
And then she closed her eyes ,And saw him there that day .

And to mother's amazementShe witnessed with surprise
A room full of daddies and children ,all starting to close their eyes
Who knows ,what they saw before ;who knows, what they felt inside
Perhaps for merely a second ,they saw him at her side.

I know you are with me daddy ,To the silence she called out.
And what happened next made believe ;Of those once filled with doubt.
Not one in that crowd could explain, For each of their eyes had been closed
But there on the desk beside her , was a fragrant long stemmed pink rose.

And a child was blessed ,
if only for a moment .
By the love of her shining bright star ,
And given the gift of believing
That heaven is never too far!


This is a poem that i got to read because of my friend who read it online a few years ago. A poem so beautiful and so touching.I thought why not share with you .I am sorry i do not know the poet guess it was an anonymous post . Whoever it is i really thank them for giving us all a treat of words ; so true and beautiful!
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 307: Happy Chingam !

Today is Chingam 1 (to be read as onnu). It is the new month according to the lunisolar calendar. This month is also called as Avani and Shravana. So, why is this month special?  This month marks the beginning of the festival season back home and the it is fun to have small celebrations through the months until  mid- December. It is also the month of Onam (Harvest festival in Kerala).

The first festival we have this month is the 'sacred thread' changing ceremony for men/boys who wear that. This is followed by usually the birthday of little Krishna and then the elephant-head god, Ganesha. Then comes Onam followed by the beautiful month of Navaratri or Durga Pooja. So, the big set of festival season is here and here is a wish to all of you on Chingam 1. Wishing you all blessed and excellent months ahead. Have fun!

Day 306: Most beautiful things in this world

"What are the most beautiful things in this world?", asked a little child.
"Ah! well, the list is long, really very long." , said I,  Do you have the patience to listen and hold on? "Yes, I do", said she.  I smiled,  "I will first tell you all that I have been told,  and then will narrate all that I uphold."

Listen, oh, little girl,  I was told it was in places to go by a long way,  Like the light blue shores in the Caribbean isles,  and the beautiful Icelandic summer nights.  It was also in the streets of Tokyo,  and the serene charm of Canadian winter snow.  Some said it was the street food in Bangkok,  and yet others claimed that it was the chaat masalas of India.  The haute couture in Milan fashion show,  or for a few, the royal palaces of big Europe.  I was confused just like you, for,
all these are places afar very distant from my present home .
But what if I wanted to enjoy a few beautiful things,
should I go this far or are they just wi…

Day 315 : What's on your bucket list?

Bucket List. A term that has become popular much after the famous movie with the same title in 2007. The term would have probably taken after the euphemism 'kick the bucket', which was again popularized in the movie, 'It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world'. The 2007 movie was a massive hit and how would it be not? It had Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in the lead. The term was meant to have a list of things you wish you can do before you leave this world.

It is like a goal list that can evolve as you grow and change perspectives in life. I used to have a wish list that worked as a to-do list mostly like a work list for short-term goals. However, off late, I have decided to make one and keep it as an ever evolving list.

The first one on my list as of now (that was from the past too) is to get my biggest degree in life. Hopefully I will tick that one off my list soon.

Do share your thoughts on your list and how do you plan on getting it all checked out.

Love,
M